Monday 3 January 2011

'Let Momo Eat Cake'


Happy New Year and all that!
Thought I would share some pictures from the exhibition that is currently displaying my new pieces that I created whilst in Japan. The exhibition is called 'Let Momo Eat Cake' and also showcases the work of my fellow artists in residence, Yoko Iwanaga, Kristen Plucar and Lena Bui. The presentation opened last m
onth and will run until 10th January at the Mino Washi Museum in Gifu Prefecture.

The opening of 'Let Momo Eat Cake' marked both the end of my project as well as
my departure from beautiful Japan. So alongside the gallery launch I also had the task of clearing out my studio, which had pretty much become my second home throughout the past 3 months as a result of the ludicrous amount of hours I spent in there!

It's been awesome working from the studio of dreamsss...we have seen plenty of action...from cake stealing dogs, poisonous centipedes, buns for lunch, late night disco times, juggling ball extravaganzas and plenty of intense gossip sessions! It was so much fun working alongside the girls and I learned to do random stuff like build a lantern and fill up a heater with kerosine....hardcore life skillzzz 'innit??? It was amazing to be able to base myself in Japan for a few months and take advantage of all the opportunities to carry out a load of new research, work with different people and of course experiment with some alternative materials.
It was also great to be able to branch out and take a few trips so I got to see and shop in more places in Japan!
I spent my birthday working in Tokyo on the shoot of my final pieces of work and it was so much fun to work with a whole new bunch of people in a totally different environment...team Tokyo totally rules and I would like to say MEGA THANKS to the crew that helped in creating the images; Yuji, Nao, Chika and Olga!!!

The Tokyo trip in itself is a whole other blog post...so hold your horses for that one!
It was 5 years since my last trip to Japan and I left this time loving it even more! I came back to the UK for Christmas with a ridiculous amount of luggage as a result of all the amazing bits and pieces I picked up over there...however I'm yet to see any of it as my baggage is MIA somewhere in Paris which totally sucks ass as I want to wear my Kimono and use my new cute baking tins!
So I was sad to leave Japan and I will miss things like the 100 yen stores, amazing shopping, grape Fanta, sachets of Matcha latte, awesome magazines, huge tofu sections in supermarkets, super hot boys, appliances that play music and heated toilet seats....however I will certainly not miss the wildlife and I will maintain my fear of nature...that includes snakes, spiders, bears and wild boars!!!
Anways if you happen to be in Gifu...pop along to the museum and check out the exhibition!!!!
Love and Sparkles
Emma

1 comment:

Patricia PacJac Carroll said...

Happy New Year
Just scanning a few blogs and fell in love with your colorful blog. Looks fun and inviting.
Have a blessed day